Corporate GovernanceGroup Code of Conduct
Our mission here at the Hakuhodo DY Group (hereinafter referred to as the “Group”) is to create new movements in the world.
To that end we endow products, services, and corporate activities with new meaning and enhance their value for sei-katsu-sha and society. While partnering with sei-katsu-sha, companies, and the media, we function as a nexus of society by forging new relationships and bringing greater happiness, prosperity, and vitality to the world.
That requires doing more than simply improving what already exists. It requires unleashing our creativity to produce things that are completely new and utterly different. Only by doing so can we generate new value and forge new links.
As builders of new relationships, we need to be considered a trusted partner by sei-katsu-sha, companies, the media, and society at large. Because we do not make anything tangible, we must earn that trust ourselves. Only if we enjoy the trust of all our stakeholders, including the media and subcontractors that work with us, can we bring new movements into being.
At the Group, we view as professionals those who constantly hone their creative abilities and are worthy of the trust of others as partners. Our guiding principles as professionals are providing high-quality services, maintaining trust in us, giving full play to our own abilities and respecting those of others, and being transparent and fair in all we do.
In order to execute our mission and bring new forms of happiness, prosperity and vitality to sei-katsu-sha, companies, and society at large, we continue to cultivate a sense of decency, and conduct ourselves according to the highest ethical standards as independent-minded, self-motivated professionals.
In order for us to exert our creativity and remain trusted as partners of sei-katsu-sha, companies, and the media, we who work for the Hakuhodo DY Group (hereinafter referred to as the “Group”) will conduct ourselves in a fair manner according to the highest ethical standards, strongly committed to compliance and conscious of our clear duty to abide by the following principles:
1. We will provide high-quality services
We will provide integrated marketing solutions of the highest quality while properly managing the confidential information and rights of our business partners.
Proper management of confidential information
- Constantly aware that our work entails handling sensitive information of our business partners, we will manage information stringently and manage confidential information appropriately.
Proper management of all forms of rights
- In order to respect copyright, industrial property rights, and other forms of intellectual property rights, and to ensure our ability to make the right decision, we will acquire an accurate knowledge of intellectual property rights through training and other means.
- We will produce highly original work, conscious that infringing others’ rights is strictly prohibited.
Pursuing quality in provision of services
- Placing emphasis on communication abilities, such as explanatory skills and persuasiveness, we will seek to raise our own to a level that enables us to strike a chord with others.
- We will at all times remain highly attuned to the importance of expression, being aware that our job involves making skilful use of language and design.
- When engaging in communication work we will fully consider the nature of the human rights issues involved, rather than merely passively checking for unacceptable language and such.
2. We will constantly seek to maintain trust in us
We will abide by all laws and regulations, and sincerely do our best to live up to society’s expectations and requests toward us as members of society.
Complying with the rules of society and acting in good faith
- When confronted by a choice between profit and ethics, we will unhesitatingly opt for the latter, no matter how harsh the business climate is.
- We will respect human rights and will not discriminate unjustly.
- We will as a good corporate citizen nurture good relationships with sei-katsu-sha, society, and the local community, and be aware of our corporate social responsibility in all we do.
Shunning involvement in anti-social activities
- We will have no relationships with criminal gangs or other anti-social forces. We will always keep our distance from them.
- We will not cave in to demands from anti-social forces but deal firmly with them. If another member of the Group faces such demands, we will not leave them isolated.
- If a demand is unjustified, we will not yield to it no matter who makes it, but rather will take legally appropriate action.
- We will not provide gifts, meals or entertainment to public officials or anyone else who is prohibited by law from receiving gifts of money or goods.
Conducting ourselves in a manner appropriate to a global society
- We will comply with international rules and local laws and respect the cultures and customs of the communities in which we work, constantly aware that we are members of a global society.
Consideration for the environment
- We will consider environmental ethics in all we do, aware of the environmental problems that exist on a global scale.
3. We will give full play to our own abilities and respect those of others
Recognizing that people are our greatest asset, we will always be bold in facing new challenges, and never forget our responsibilities and pride.
Conducting ourselves based on our principles
- We will earnestly tackle the duties assigned to us, and take responsibility and pride in doing so.
- Undaunted by difficulty, we will always be bold in facing new challenges.
- We will take the initiative in enhancing our abilities and improving ourselves as human beings.
- Regardless of our job function, we will always keep in mind who our client is and what our work is for.
- We will in no way discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, sex, religion, disability, or other differences.
- Understanding the diversity of the parties we work with within and outside the Group, including our business partners, we will always act with respect toward them.
- We will never commit sexual harassment, power harassment or any other form of harassment.
- We will seek to put together the best team for each job, regardless of differences in age, position or other hierarchical relationship.
- Each of us will strive to create a company of which we can say, when we leave it at retirement or for any other reason, “I did a great job there.”
4. We will be transparent and fair in all we do
We will release all necessary information proactively and in a timely manner, and conduct ourselves in a fair manner, complying with all laws and regulations.
Maintaining a high level of transparency
- Open corporate communications is the cornerstone of our business. We will proactively release information except if it constitutes a company secret of a business partner or sensitive internal information.
- If we ever become the object of public condemnation, we will, as promptly as possible, make clear our own position as a company on the issue both internally and externally, and do so in good faith.
Maintaining our commitment to fairness
- We will not pursue our own interests or those of another to the detriment of the Group.
- We will not make payments or expenditures that we are unable to account for both internally and externally.
- We will not provide business partners with gifts, meals or entertainment beyond what is socially acceptable. Instead, we will strive to be highly recognized for the quality of our work.
- If as a company we disagree with an opinion or demand, even if it is expressed by someone representing a business partner, we will not obsequiously accept it but squarely voice our objections.